Tuesday, October 11, 2011

On Not Being 20.


I am obsessing about my looks for the first time in my whole life. Yeah sure, all along I’ve been mildly concerned as the majority of female human beings are, but I was never sick over it. I’m not exactly sick over it now, but there are definitely increasing levels of anxiety and plain shock over my aging looks. I can deal with the gray hair. In fact I loved the gray hair…that was until it was paired with tiny, yet obvious wrinkles and ever-so-slightly sagging skin. This is sooooo not fair. Just when I begin to feel like I’ve got my feet on solid ground, something else creeps in to challenge my self-esteem.  On the brighter side, all the walking in D.C. resulted in a few pounds being dropped according to the Publix scale that still strangely exists in the foyer of most of their grocery stores. Why the hell is that thing there anyways? Don’t they want you to buy more food so that they can make more money? Because let me tell you, when I get on that scale, I’m never thinking “Alright! Time to load up on some more of that delicious Publix Premium Ice Cream!”  Even when I miraculously do end up weighing just a few pounds less than the week prior (because without fail, I weigh myself each and every time I’m there), I just think “Okay, so how can I get that number to go down even more?” I don’t know, maybe diet food is more expensive and that’s their logic.

            When I was in my late twenties, I was going through a metamorphosis and eagerly awaiting my thirties. I wanted to be a full grown adult. I didn’t want to be lumped into the reckless, immature, binge-drinking, superficial Peter Pans that I’d always associated with as a young person (a few specific individuals aside). But now, the old lady syndrome is really making me rethink this whole grown-up thing. Is it crazy that at 31 I’m already wanting to “turn back the clock”? I’m not proud that I have recently begun to wish for Botox and various nips and tucks, but it’s true. In Savannah, I looked around at all the cool art school kids and could no longer ignore the reality that I’ve done everything ass-backwards and thought about how awkward I feel at school amongst a sea of 20 year olds, how I can’t go back and do things differently, how I have to figure out a way to bridge my role as a 31 year old, married, homeschooling mom of 3 with the me that only now has the opportunity to blossom and emerge.  I sense more awkward stumbling ahead. Maybe only a few embarrassing outings and strangely fitting fashion ensembles will suffice… if I’m lucky.

2 comments:

  1. As I read this, I had a few thoughts:

    1) I've known you for ten years. Even though we have gone long periods of time without contact, I have had ample opportunity to observe the evolution of who you are throughout your adult youth. And when I look back on it all, I think you're right on track. I really do. I hope that brings some comfort to you when you have those moments of uncertainty you describe in this blog. You always wanted a partner/husband. You always wanted love. You always wanted kids. You always wanted stability. You always wanted the opportunity to be more than you are, and experience more than you have. And now you have all that.

    2) It seems to me that everyone wishes they had done things in a different order. People who went to college right out of high school think they wasted the experience on youthful indiscretions. People who waited to pursue higher education, regardless of the reason, feel old and out of place on campus. People who have kids at a young age are grateful for their children but feel tied down at times; people without offspring feel the clock ticking. The point is sometimes life just happens. We have some control but often not more than a little; and somehow, how things turn out has to be right.

    3) Time stops for no one. Do what you can, with what you have, where you are now. Because now will never come again.

    /end pontification

    ReplyDelete
  2. So profound... and at 3AM none-the-less! I'm so grateful that I met you and that you care enough to read my shit and genuinely comment on it too. :) I really do appreciate the feedback...more than I can express. <3

    ReplyDelete