Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Visualizing Victory


My life was in constant turmoil from age 19 to age 28. That’s probably a fairly typical description of most young adults’ lives, and I know that my personal experience was both more difficult and easier than others depending on who you talk to (I say this to acknowledge the relativity of my experience, but from this point I will only speak about my own feelings).  During that time, I blew around like paper in the wind. I worked at around 25 different jobs. I moved around 30 times. I drank a lot.  I fell in love thrice…which made me smile a lot, dream a lot, and cry and scream a lot. I gave birth to two babies during that time period and also didn’t give birth to two babies. And in between the babies, I even got married. I was engaged once, before my husband proposed, and desperately wanted to marry a different someone for 6 long years in between the two engagements. I’d call that tumultuous, wouldn’t you?!   I finally took the reins of my own life and it was because of three people: one to exhaust my love and faith, and reservoir of sanity, one to tell me I was a lost cause, and one to believe in my redemption whole-heartedly. And as much as it hurt, and still hurts to this day, that I had to decide to stop pursuing what I was pursuing and change directions, it was the right choice and it proved to be the most utilitarian choice. I am generally happy and fulfilled. That didn’t seem to be in the cards for me towards the end of that near decade. Now, I feel a great sense of love and security and meaning and so do my children. However, I’m still haunted by my former life. I have regular “what if” dreams. I mourn the loss of tragic love, of drunken debauchery, of carelessness and care-freeness. I feel out of place in the sanity of my life. But I go on. I don’t fuck it up. I constantly choose to not regress. Does that mean I’m still in a stage of cognitive dissonance? And if so, when will I finally, truly identify with goodness and sanity? How many more books, and yoga sessions, and coffee talks, and philosophy classes, and acts of love, and self-discipline, and olive branches will it take for the cycle to complete itself?

No comments:

Post a Comment